Twibbons, or “Twitter ribbons” in support of a cause, event, sport, country, or anything else, add an extra touch of fun and personality to your social media avatars. You’ve probably seen them around Christmas when people add Santa hats to their avatars; around November when people add poppies; or during the Ashes or any sporting World Cup when people put their national colors on their avatars, to name a few popular examples.
Since the whole point of Twitter and Facebook is fun and personality, I highly encourage you to play around with twibbons, though the standard rules of common sense apply if you’re using social media to promote your business and choose something particularly political to do! support for! You know best if it fits your brand, but I recommend keeping it light, especially if you’re just starting out on social media.
However, if you want to join in the fun, it’s very easy to do so.
I. Add a twibbon to your avatar
- Go to the Twibbon website (link provided in step II).
- Sign in with your existing Facebook or Twitter account (depending on which one you want to add the twibbon to).
- Search or search for the twibbon you are looking for (ie “Santa’s hat”).
- Once you’ve selected the one you want, click “Support This” next to the image.
And you are ready! Some of them, like the Santa hats, will give you the opportunity to resize or reposition it in relation to your mug, so there will be an extra step here, but that’s basically all there is to it.
The tricky thing for many people is how to get rid of the twibbon once you have it there.
II. Remove a twibbon from your avatar
- Go to http://twibbon.com.
- Sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, you will see your Facebook or Twitter name and then “(My Profile)”. Click it.
- In the middle of the screen you will see your current avatar, complete with twibbon. Right above it you will see two tabs: one says “Profile”, and this is the tab you are currently on. The second says, “History.” Click it.
- Choose the old, original avatar you want to go back to and click “Revert” below it.
- On the next screen, confirm your choice by clicking “Make this my profile picture.”
And that’s it! Have fun with your twibboning!