Protein is essential for building muscle, restoring and replacing tissues, and maintaining a healthy immune and hormonal system. For people who are physically active, more protein is needed in their diets. The following list contains the top foods that are the best sources of protein.
Protein-rich foods for vegetarian athletes:
1. Cowpea and leaf tips cooked and drained (can be added with salt)
2. Raw and fresh egg whites
3. Cheeses such as cottage cheese, non-cream cheese, dry cheese, and non-fat cheese
4. Dried algae and spirulina
5. Mori-Nu Extra Firm Tofu or Silken-Lite
6. Tamari soy sauce
7. Low-fat, 1% -fat cottage cheese
8. Mori-Nu Lite-Firm Tofu
9. Raw pumpkin leaves
10. Nuts and seeds like cashews, walnuts, and almonds
The following are the top 10 protein foods of animal and plant origin:
1. Red meats such as beef, pork, and liver
2. White meats like chicken and fish
3. Eggs and dairy products such as:
to. Hard cheeses, including Parmesan
B. Soft cheeses such as Mozzarella, Brie, and Camembert
vs. Medium cheeses like cheddar and Swiss
4. Legumes: These are edible dry beans (pods) such as chickpeas, flagella beans, kidney beans, split beans, green beans, and lentils. They are rich sources of protein.
5. Nuts and Seeds: Throughout the years, nuts and seeds have been among the best sources of protein. Examples of nuts are almonds, cashews, peanuts, and walnuts. These can be served chopped, raw, or roasted.
6. Cereals and food grains: Eating protein-rich cooked grains promotes muscle development.
7. Seaweed: A type of seaweed, spirulina is among the best protein-rich foods out there.
8. Fruits: With today’s technology, fruits can be eaten canned, frozen, or dried. Regardless of how they are prepared, fruits are still nutritious and included in the list of high protein foods.
9. Vegetables – Loaded with protein, vitamins, and minerals, vegetables are known to be among the best foods for staying healthy.
10. Seitan: Seitan is a substitute for meat. It is prepared from whole wheat flour mixed with a sufficient amount of water, kneaded and rinsed with water, expelling starch and bran. The protein is simmered in a soy sauce to turn it into seitan. Seitan broth can be added as a flavoring.